Matthew A. Passen
Matthew A. Passen concentrates in cases involving serious personal injury and wrongful death, including motor vehicle and public transportation accidents, brain and spinal cord injuries, medical malpractice and birth injuries.
He was named a "Rising Star" By Super Lawyers in 2012. Martindale-Hubbell recognizes Mr. Passen as an AV® rated attorney, the highest such rating available to any individual lawyer.
Mr. Passen maintains an active community involvement. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Greater Chicago, and also serves on the Chicago Bar Foundation's Young Professionals Board, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago's Associate Board, and the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago's Young Professionals Board.
Mr. Passen is also very active with local and national bar associations. He is an Officer with the Chicago Bar Association's Young Lawyers Section, and serves on the editorial board of the CBA Record. Mr. Passen was recently appointed to serve on the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, and also serves on the Board of Governors of the American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division.
Prior to joining Passen Law Group, Mr. Passen was an associate in the litigation department of Jenner & Block LLP in Chicago.
Mr. Passen received his B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, in Economics from the University of Michigan in 2002. He played four years of college hockey as a member of the University of Michigan Club Hockey Team.
In 2006, Mr. Passen obtained his law degree, summa cum laude, from DePaul University College of Law, where he graduated Order of the Coif. Mr. Passen was also a member of the DePaul Law Review.
During law school, Mr. Passen clerked for the Honorable Ronald A. Guzman, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He also interned at the United States Attorney's Office, Northern District of Illinois.
Mr. Passen has completed several triathlons, including an Ironman in 2008.
- Social Host Liability for Underage Alcohol-Related Injuries, CBA Record, October 2011.
- Protecting Those Who Protect Us: The Fireman's Rule, CBA Record, February/March 2011.
- Finding My Ironman, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 10, 2010.
- Tort Immunity for Public Hospitals and Medical Professionals in Illinois, CBA Record, September 2010.
- Conflict Resolved: Settling Defendants Not Included on Jury Verdict Forms, CBA Record, April 2009.
- Should Settling Defendants Appear on a Jury Verdict Form?, CBA Record, February/March 2009.
- Illinois Supreme Court Expands Scope of The Collateral Source Rule, CBA Record, September 2008.
- Professional Self-Regulation or Witness Intimidation,CBA Record, May 2008.
Professional and Community Activities:
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of Greater Chicago, Board of Directors
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Officer and CBA Record editorial board
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Young Professionals Board
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Associate Board
- American Association for Justice, Board of Governors, New Lawyers Division
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers
- Legal Assistance Foundation, Young Professionals Board
- Small Business Advocacy Council, Member
Phone number: (312) 527-4500