Matthew A. Passen, partner with Passen Law Group, has a broad range of experience in cases involving serious personal injury and wrongful death, including motor vehicle and transportation accidents, defective products and medical negligence. He also represents crime victims in civil actions against responsible individuals or entities.
He has received numerous awards and distinctions, such as:
- 40 Under 40, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2015)
- Top 40 Under 40 Trial Attorney, The National Trial Lawyers (2015-present)
- Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2015-present)
- Top 40 Litigation Lawyers Under 40, American Society of Legal Advocates (2014-present)
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2012-present)
To read what prominent judges and defense counsel have said about Mr. Passen, read the Law Bulletin’s write-up of his recent 40 Under Forty honor.
Mr. Passen graduated law school at the top of his class (summa cum laude, Order of the Coif) from DePaul University College of Law in 2006. During law school, Mr. Passen served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Ronald A. Guzman, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and also interned with the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Illinois.
Mr. Passen graduated with high distinction (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) in Economics from the University of Michigan in 2002. While in college, he played four years of hockey as a member of the University of Michigan Club Hockey Team.
Mr. Passen is heavily involved in local and national bar associations. He was elected Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section (YLS) in 2015, which has over 9,000 attorney-members in the Chicagoland area. He is also a member and Past-President of the Chicago Bar Foundation’s Young Professionals Board (YPB), which is dedicated to securing equal access to justice for all members of the community. In 2015, Mr. Passen was appointed to the Board of Managers of both the Chicago Bar Association and the Chicago Bar Foundation. He has served for many years as an Investigator for the CBA’s Judicial Evaluation Committee. He is also a member of the National Crime Victim Bar Association, where he has helped train victim advocates and represent victims of crime in civil actions.
Mr. Passen was elected to the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, and is a past-member of the Board of Governors of the American Association for Justice, New Lawyers Division. He is a past member of the Board of Directors of the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Greater Chicago, and serves on the Board of Directors of the Center for Conflict Resolution and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Associate Board. He also serves as Vice-Chair of the Trial Techniques Committee and Automobile Law Committee for the American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS). He is also the founder and Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Trial Practice Committee.
He is a 2015 graduate of the 3-week Trial Lawyers College, an invitation-only program dedicated to training and educating trial lawyers who are committed to the jury system and to representing and obtaining justice for individuals. The College was founded and led by legendary trial lawyer, Gerry Spence, and took place at his ranch in Wyoming.
Prior to joining Passen Law Group, he was an associate at Jenner & Block LLP, one of the top commercial litigation firms in Chicago.
Mr. Passen has completed several triathlons, including an Ironman in 2008. He is married with two young children.
Education & Honors
- JD, DePaul University College of Law
- Summa Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
- Law Review
- BA, University of Michigan
- Magna Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Service
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Past-Chair
- Chicago Bar Association, Board of Managers
- Chicago Bar Association, Chair, Trial Practice Committee
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Investigator
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Young Professionals Board, Member and Past-President
- Chicago Bar Foundation, Board of Managers
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, Associate Board
- Center for Conflict Resolution, Board of Directors
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Associate Board
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of Greater Chicago, Board of Directors, Past-Member
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Trial Techniques Committee, Vice-Chair
- Help End Distracted Driving, CBA Record, November 2015
- Giving Back, CBA Record, October 2015
- Lessons From the Ranch, CBA Record, September 2015
- The Complete Lawyer, CBA Record, July/August 2015
- Proving Damages in Motor Vehicle Crash Cases Involving Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Automobile Law Committee Newsletter, Fall 2014
- Preparing and Conducting Effective Cross-Examination, ABA Section of Litigation, Young Advocates, September 2013
- Lawyers Aim to Curb Distracted Driving, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 5, 2012.
- Social Host Liability for Underage Alcohol-Related Injuries, CBA Record, October 2011.
- Protecting Those Who Protect Us: The Fireman’s Rule, CBA Record, February/March 2011.
- Finding My Ironman, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 10, 2010.
- Tort Immunity for Public Hospitals and Medical Professionals in Illinois, CBA Record, September 2010.
- Conflict Resolved: Settling Defendants Not On Verdict Form, CBA Record, April 2009.
- Should Settling Defendants Appear on a Jury Verdict Form?, CBA Record, February/March 2009.
- Illinois Supreme Court Expands Scope of Collateral Source Rule, CBA Record, September 2008.
- Medical Societies’ Peer-Review Authority: Professional Self-Regulation or Witness Intimidation?, CBA Record, May 2008.
Select Speaking Engagements
- Common Issues in Medical Malpractice Cases, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Risk Management Committees (January 2017)
- Effective Use of Trial Technology, Chicago Bar Association, Trial Techniques Committee (December 2016)
- Jury Selection Law and Techniques, Illinois State Bar Association (Nov 2016)
- Preservation Makes Perfect: Appellate Tips for Trial Lawyers, Chicago Bar Association (March 2016)
- Civil Remedies for Victims of Crime in Illinois, The National Center for Victims of Crime (Nov 2015)
- #IsThisAdmissible?, American Bar Association Tort Trial Insurance Practice Section, Moderator (July 2015)
- Judicial Panel on Persuasiveness in Court, Chicago Bar Association, Moderator (Nov 2014)
- Using an iPad in Trial, Chicago Bar Association (Nov 2014)
- How To Create A Trial Notebook For Use At Trial, Chicago Bar Association, Moderator (Feb 2014)
- Product Liability Update, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Product Liability Committee (Jan 2014)
- Deposition Practice in Illinois: Top 10 Practical Considerations, Chicago Bar Association (Nov 2013)
- Strategies for Success At Trial, Chicago Bar Association (Oct 2013)
- Trial Technique Strategies, Chicago Bar Association, Moderator (Feb 2011)